Goal Zero | Retail Packaging Design | Packaging Manufacturing
Goal Zero Packaging | Case Study
Goal Zero is the industry leader in the emerging portable solar power market. As an exploding start up, Goal Zero needed finished, retail-ready packaging that was up to par with their cutting edge products. They came to Process for support in design collaboration, feasibility of design, testing, and providing full packaging manufacturing.
Goal Zero required packaging that would accommodate a product line with a wide range of purchase price points. They were also concerned about damaged packaging and theft. While addressing these needs, Process provided Goal Zero with packaging that would also create a unique and personal customer experience, at both the retail and post-purchase levels. The packaging also helped consumers become accustomed to the new brand, and provide them with a specific level of education about the products in order to adequately support them in their purchase.
After extensive product packaging testing, Process designed a handmade box with a magnetic flap that revealed the product, while concealing the cords and adaptors for each product.
Goal Zero Retail Packaging Design Materials:
- Dull coated paper laminated over board
- 4/4 color with spot UV for additional detail.
- The outside cover overhangs the interior box to emphasize a book like appearance.
- An embroidered fabric pull tab on the bottom gives attention to the small detail. This gives the consumers cues to access the product.
- The retractable metal hang tab allows the package to be hung or stacked for display.
- The packaging feels hefty and significant, like a gift or coffee table book, the customer experience is enhanced both in retail and post-purchase settings.
- The product is fully enclosed and provides additional structure, the issues of theft and damages is resolved in the new custom packaging.
- Interior structures included using a custom molded PET cavity insertion and uniquely designed product suspension.
- The flap also added additional room for education through a carefully produced system of iconography and typography.
The end result of this project landed Goal Zero with a cohesive brand across multiple platforms. The packaging system and style guide of rules now are now in place. This allows the packaging to maintain consistency when new products are added to the line.